Monday, May 11, 2015

"Excuse me, Handsome Man!"

         Today was a pretty uneventful day. In the morning, we went to language class where we reviewed numbers and how to barter in Vietnamese. This was all done in preparation for our time at the Ben Thanh Market. Once language class was over, we went directly to the market where we had a trial by fire. (Luckily, the UEF students came with us.) We walked around the market looking for gifts and souvenirs while market ladies bombarded us with clothes, trinkets, and sunglasses. Especially sunglasses! It turns out that I am a handsome man. Just ask literally any lady that sells clothes at that market. Apparently, I would also look very good in every shirt in the place! Who knew?

This is the outside of market.

            With the help of my Vietnamese friend, Vy, I was able to barter all of the prices and get pretty good deals on the items that I bought. Vy saved me probably half of my money. I highly recommend her! The only downside to the market was the fact that while Vietnam is quite humid normally, the market is inside and pretty much acts as an oven. I’m alive though.
            After the market, we went back to the hotel where we got ready for a company visit to Vina Capital Foundation. There they talked about how, as an NGO, they help raise money by investing and use that money to help poor children across Vietnam. It was a very interesting business plan that actually spread across two different companies in order to make it work. Regardless, the work that they do is quite helpful to the impoverished people of Vietnam.

            We arrived back at the hotel after the site visit and Akhil, Jeff, Malik, and I decided to go to McDonald’s for some American food. It was the BEST McDonald’s I have EVER had! It also looked like what the pictures look like and that amazed me. Take a look:

Is this not the best looking McDonald's burger 
you've ever seen?

            Around 7:30 we decided to meet the rest of the group at a karaoke place where I saw some things that I may never be able to unsee…

This is Kate, our Vietnamese MC.


Plot twist.

You're welcome for those nightmares.





No comments:

Post a Comment