Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Iron Chef Vietnam

           Today we got to wake up late and it was phenomenal! I had Oreos and peanut butter for breakfast because I slept through the breakfast bar. Honestly, I’m not mad. We got on the bus to go over to a cooking class. Little did I know, the class was being held at a 5-star Vietnamese hotel. We rolled up in the bus and walked into the lobby and said, “Woah!” (Yanno, like how you would react when walking into a 5-star hotel.)

The chandelier makes it fancy.

            Our class consisted of learning how to make two types of spring rolls. One was a spring roll that had shrimp and some vegetables on rice paper that did not need to be cooked. I don’t like that kind of spring roll. The rice paper tastes like plastic. The other roll was made on green bean paper and had pork and mushrooms in it. This spring roll needed to be fried. I liked that one.

This is my spring roll. I'm coming for you Ramsay.

            After our cooking class, we were allowed to eat anything at the buffet in the hotel. The chef also cooked our spring rolls for us. In the buffet, there were many classic Vietnamese foods as well as many random foods from all over the world. There was also a dessert bar. Fat Chris showed up in Vietnam today.

This is how I looked down at the dessert bar.

If you look closely there is a sausage on the plate.

This is why we don't take Snowball to nice places.

            After I ate my body weight in every kind of dessert you can think of, we went back to the hotel to change. We then went to the Saigon Newport Corporation, a shipping company. There we were briefed on what they did and whom they shipped their cargo to. We then toured the facility and went home.


The shipping yard had maybe 8 or 9 crates in it. Maybe 10.

            Once we got back to the hotel, some of us went back to Ben Thanh Market. I’ve gotten pretty good at bartering in Vietnamese. I got some good deals for both Aster and me. In all honesty though, I probably got cheated. I guess that shows a good deal. If both people feel they got the better end of the deal then they both win! Hooray! After the market, we went back to the hotel and then swam in the pool. End of story!




No comments:

Post a Comment